The most significant, long-standing XBRL programs in the U.S. are regulatory implementations, mandated by the U.S. Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC).
The FFIEC program, initiated in 2005, requires over 6,000 banks to provide their call report financial data in XBRL format.The FFIEC now also collects FDIC Summary of Deposit data from 5,000 banks as well. Bank regulators have recognized significant benefits from the use of standards and continue to expand on this program into other areas for public and for internal use.
The SEC requires XBRL for reporting by public companies, credit rating agencies and mutual funds. XBRL US developed the initial releases of the US GAAP Financial Reporting Taxonomy which is now managed by the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB). Public companies have been reporting in XBRL since 2009 and XBRL US provides education and training programs to help filers. XBRL US has also initiated a data quality program designed to address issues that have been raised by investors about the quality and consistency of the reported data. This program involves the creation of a Data Quality Committee which develops guidance and validation rules that can prevent or detect inconsistencies or errors in XBRL data filed with the SEC.
From the News from the SEC's Office of Structured Disclosure
- 2023 XBRL Taxonomies Update - March 21, 2023
- Draft 2023 Executive Compensation Disclosure (ECD) Taxonomy Guide - January 23, 2023
- December 2022 XBRL Taxonomies Update - December 20, 2022
- Draft 2023 Executive Compensation Disclosure (ECD) Taxonomy - December 19, 2022
- SEC Interactive Data Test Suite Update 64d-221128 - December 8, 2022
From the Federal Register
- Regulation S-T-General Rules and Regulations for Electronic Filings - March 24, 2023
- Submission for OMB Review; Comment Request; Extension: Investment Company Interactive Data - March 24, 2023
- Shortening the Securities Transaction Settlement Cycle - March 6, 2023
- Adoption of Updated EDGAR Filer Manual - January 24, 2023
- Proposed Collection; Comment Request; Extension: Investment Company Interactive Data - January 19, 2023
You must be logged in to post a comment.