The most significant, long-standing XBRL programs in the U.S. are regulatory implementations, mandated by the U.S. Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC).
The FFIEC program, initiated in 2005, requires over 6,000 banks to provide their call report financial data in XBRL format.The FFIEC now also collects FDIC Summary of Deposit data from 5,000 banks as well. Bank regulators have recognized significant benefits from the use of standards and continue to expand on this program into other areas for public and for internal use.
The SEC requires XBRL for reporting by public companies, credit rating agencies and mutual funds. XBRL US developed the initial releases of the US GAAP Financial Reporting Taxonomy which is now managed by the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB). Public companies have been reporting in XBRL since 2009 and XBRL US provides education and training programs to help filers. XBRL US has also initiated a data quality program designed to address issues that have been raised by investors about the quality and consistency of the reported data. This program involves the creation of a Data Quality Committee which develops guidance and validation rules that can prevent or detect inconsistencies or errors in XBRL data filed with the SEC.
- Draft 2023 SEC Taxonomies - November 4, 2022
- Tagging Allowance for Credit Loss in Notes to the Financial Statements - November 3, 2022
- FASB Issues Proposed Updates for Future* Version of Taxonomy Related to Proposed ASU on Joint Venture Formations - November 3, 2022
- Tagging Clawback Disclosures - Draft Updated Executive Compensation Disclosure (ECD) Taxonomy and Guide - October 26, 2022
- FASB Staff Issues Proposed Changes for 2023 US GAAP Financial Reporting Taxonomy - October 6, 2022
From the Federal Register
- Listing Standards for Recovery of Erroneously Awarded Compensation - November 28, 2022
- Revisions to the Filing Process for Commission Forms; Notice of Eforms Updates - November 25, 2022
- Tailored Shareholder Reports for Mutual Funds and Exchange-Traded Funds; Fee Information in Investment Company Advertisements - November 25, 2022
- Accounting and Reporting Treatment of Certain Renewable Energy Assets - October 3, 2022
- Pay Versus Performance - September 8, 2022