The most significant, long-standing XBRL programs in the U.S. are regulatory implementations, mandated by the U.S. Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC).
The FFIEC program, initiated in 2005, requires over 6,000 banks to provide their call report financial data in XBRL format.The FFIEC now also collects FDIC Summary of Deposit data from 5,000 banks as well. Bank regulators have recognized significant benefits from the use of standards and continue to expand on this program into other areas for public and for internal use.
The SEC requires XBRL for reporting by public companies, credit rating agencies and mutual funds. XBRL US developed the initial releases of the US GAAP Financial Reporting Taxonomy which is now managed by the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB). Public companies have been reporting in XBRL since 2009 and XBRL US provides education and training programs to help filers. XBRL US has also initiated a data quality program designed to address issues that have been raised by investors about the quality and consistency of the reported data. This program involves the creation of a Data Quality Committee which develops guidance and validation rules that can prevent or detect inconsistencies or errors in XBRL data filed with the SEC.
- Draft 2018 Volcker Rule Metrics Instructions and Technical Specifications - August 24, 2018
- Exchange-Traded Funds Proposed Rule - August 3, 2018
- Trend Analysis on Custom Tag Rates in XBRL Exhibits Submitted from 2015 to 2017 - July 13, 2018
- XBRL Taxonomy Update, July 9, 2018 - July 9, 2018
- SEC Interactive Data Test Suite Update 47-180610 - June 15, 2018
From the Federal Register
- Inline XBRL Filing of Tagged Data - August 16, 2018
- Regulation of NMS Stock Alternative Trading Systems - August 7, 2018
- Proposed Revisions to Prohibitions and Restrictions on Proprietary Trading and Certain Interests in, and Relationships With, Hedge Funds and Private Equity Funds - July 17, 2018
- Adoption of Updated EDGAR Filer Manual - July 17, 2018
- Smaller Reporting Company Definition - July 10, 2018