The most significant, long-standing XBRL programs in the U.S. are regulatory implementations, mandated by the U.S. Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC).
The FFIEC program, initiated in 2005, requires over 6,000 banks to provide their call report financial data in XBRL format.The FFIEC now also collects FDIC Summary of Deposit data from 5,000 banks as well. Bank regulators have recognized significant benefits from the use of standards and continue to expand on this program into other areas for public and for internal use.
The SEC requires XBRL for reporting by public companies, credit rating agencies and mutual funds. XBRL US developed the initial releases of the US GAAP Financial Reporting Taxonomy which is now managed by the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB). Public companies have been reporting in XBRL since 2009 and XBRL US provides education and training programs to help filers. XBRL US has also initiated a data quality program designed to address issues that have been raised by investors about the quality and consistency of the reported data. This program involves the creation of a Data Quality Committee which develops guidance and validation rules that can prevent or detect inconsistencies or errors in XBRL data filed with the SEC.
- XBRL Taxonomy Update, June 29, 2020 - June 29, 2020
- FASB’s Q&A Document on Applying the U.S. GAAP Financial Reporting Taxonomy to COVID-19 Pandemic and Relief Disclosures - June 24, 2020
- Trend Analysis of Custom Tag Rates in XBRL Exhibits Submitted from 2017 to 2019 - June 23, 2020
- Transfer Agent Data Sets - June 12, 2020
- SEC Interactive Data Test Suite Update 53.2d-200515 - May 19, 2020
From the Federal Register
- Securities Offering Reform for Closed-End Investment Companies - June 1, 2020
- Updated Disclosure Requirements and Summary Prospectus for Variable Annuity and Variable Life Insurance Contracts - May 1, 2020
- Financial Disclosures About Guarantors and Issuers of Guaranteed Securities and Affiliates Whose Securities Collateralize a Registrant's Securities - April 20, 2020
- Electric Transmission Incentives Policy Under Section 219 of the Federal Power Act - April 2, 2020
- Revisions to the Filing Process for Commission Forms; Notice Inviting Post-Technical Conference Comments - April 2, 2020