The most significant, long-standing XBRL programs in the U.S. are regulatory implementations, mandated by the U.S. Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC).
The FFIEC program, initiated in 2005, requires over 6,000 banks to provide their call report financial data in XBRL format.The FFIEC now also collects FDIC Summary of Deposit data from 5,000 banks as well. Bank regulators have recognized significant benefits from the use of standards and continue to expand on this program into other areas for public and for internal use.
The SEC requires XBRL for reporting by public companies, credit rating agencies and mutual funds. XBRL US developed the initial releases of the US GAAP Financial Reporting Taxonomy which is now managed by the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB). Public companies have been reporting in XBRL since 2009 and XBRL US provides education and training programs to help filers. XBRL US has also initiated a data quality program designed to address issues that have been raised by investors about the quality and consistency of the reported data. This program involves the creation of a Data Quality Committee which develops guidance and validation rules that can prevent or detect inconsistencies or errors in XBRL data filed with the SEC.
- XBRL Taxonomy Update, June 21, 2021 - June 23, 2021
- Reminder of Upcoming Final Phase-In Date for Inline XBRL for Operating Companies - June 11, 2021
- SEC Interactive Data Test Suite Update 58d-210524 - June 3, 2021
- Inappropriate Use of Continuing Operations Elements in the Statement of Cash Flows - May 25, 2021
- FASB Issues Proposed Updates for Future* Taxonomies Related to Proposed ASU on Fair Value Hedging - May 13, 2021
From the Federal Register
- Adoption of Updated EDGAR Filer Manual, Form ID Amendments - May 11, 2021
- Electric Transmission Incentives Policy Under Section 219 of the Federal Power Act - April 26, 2021
- Market Data Infrastructure - April 9, 2021
- Commission Information Collection Activities (FERC Form Nos. 2 and 2-A); Comment Request; Extension; Errata Notice - April 6, 2021
- Holding Foreign Companies Accountable Act Disclosure - April 5, 2021