The Securities and Exchange Commission has posted a draft EDGAR manual. The changes outlined in the draft manual, if approved, are scheduled to take effect on December 17, 2018 and January 28, 2019 for non-rule based changes or on the rule effective date for changes related to SEC rules. See SEC Final Rules posted on the SEC’s Public Website for information on the rule effective date. The final version of the manual will be made available, if approved by the Commission, on or about December 17, 2018, on the SEC’s Public Website.
Revisions specific to XBRL are noted below:
In Release 33-10514, adopted June 28, 2018, the Commission revised the requirements surrounding Inline XBRL (iXBRL):
- The list of submissions that allow the primary document to be in iXBRL format now include submission form types S-1, S-1/A, S-1MEF, S-3, S-3/A, S-3ASR, S-3D, S-3DPOS, S-3MEF, S-4, S-4/A, S-4EF, S-4MEF, S-4 POS, S-11, S-11/A, S-11MEF, F-1, F-1/A, F-1MEF, F-3, F-3/A, F-3ASR, F-3D, F-3DPOS, F-3MEF, F-4, F-4/A, F-4EF, F-4MEF, F-4 POS, F-10, F-10/A, F-10EF, F-10POS, 485BPOS, and 497.
- Tagged content can appear in more than one iXBRL formatted attachment on a single submission.
- EX-100 Voluntary XBRL attachments will no longer be allowed for EDGAR submissions.
- Edits to Section 6.13 of the “EDGAR Filer Manual, Volume II: EDGAR Filing” will relax certain rendering requirements and related validations for submission form types 485BPOS and 497 that are formatted with Inline XBRL. Filers will not be required to reproduce the layout, ordering, and formatting of each Filing Summary using custom linkbases and text blocks with “embedded” tables. Validation errors that would otherwise be produced related to the display of numbers in bar charts and other rendering-related requirements will be relaxed. Submissions without Inline XBRL remain unaffected by these simplifications.
- See Chapter 5 (Maintenance of Company Data), Chapter 6 (Interactive Data), and Appendix E (Automated Conformance Rules for EDGAR Data Fields) of the “EDGAR Filer Manual, Volume II: EDGAR Filing.”