Home Forums The XBRL API Code for publicly traded companies

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Tim Bui
      Participant

Hi David,
      Does XBRL US have a code to indicate if a CIK belong to a publicly-traded company, as opposed to a privately-held company?

Thanks

David Tauriello
      Keymaster

Hi Tim – sorry for the delayed response. I’m not aware of any privately-held companies that have CIKs – can you give me an example – ?

FWIW – a query like this (changing offset) should give you a full list of alpha-sorted companies and tickers: /report/search?report.is-most-current=true&fields=dts.id,report.entity-name.sort(DESC),entity.ticker,entity.id,report.offset(0)

Tim Bui
      Participant

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply and for the code. I will use that code to see how far I get. The Financial Data Sets that I download contains so many CIKs and I try to narrow the list down to public companies or companies that have stock prices so I can make investment decisions.

Regarding the CIK for privately held companies, I assume that they are privately held because I can’t find any stock information on them. I always assumed that the SEC gives each filer a CIK, whether they are public or private. My confusion could also come from companies changing their names.

Examples of a few CIKs that I can’t find information:
      1425392 – Grant Hartford Group.
      1441082 – Lake Forest Minerals Inc
      1111741 – Dynaresource Inc
      1403570 – Quantum Materials Corp

Thanks again, David!

Tim

David Tauriello
        Keymaster

From the CIKs you shared, it looks like Grant Hartford stopped filing in 2012; the others are still filing with the SEC (listed on OTCMKTS):

/report/search?entity.cik=0001425392,0001441082,0001111741,0001403570&report.is-most-current=true&fields=report.entity-name,entity.ticker,report.document-type,report.filing-date.sort(DESC),dts.id,entity.id,report.sec-url

There are some details on SEC’S CIK at the bottom of page 1: https://www.sec.gov/info/edgar/quick-reference/form-id.pdf

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Upcoming XBRL US Events

Webinar: SEC Rule – Tailored Shareholder Reports for Mutual Funds and ETFs
Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Domain Steering Committee Meeting
Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Communications & Services Steering Committee Meeting
Tuesday, May 21, 2024

GovFin 2024: Municipal Reporting Workshop
Tuesday, July 30, 2024