Home Forums The XBRL API Duplicate results returned

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Bruno Lerer
      Participant

In order to try out the API (using this interface (although I don’t think it makes a difference), I randomly picked a company (Carnival Corporation), a form (10-K), two reporting periods (2019,2020) and one concept (local name “LiabilitiesCurrent”). In an ideal world, only two hits should be returned (“8,686” for 2020 and “9,127” for 2019, in each case using “fact.inline-display-value”).

However, this search
      https://api.xbrl.us/api/v1/fact/search?concept.local-name=LiabilitiesCurrent&dimensions.count=0&entity.cik=0000815097&period.fiscal-period=Y&period.year=2020,2019&report.document-type=10-K&fields=concept.id,concept.local-name,dimensions,dts.id,entity.name,fact.inline-display-value,period.year,report.entry-url

returns 4 hits. The correct value for 2020 is returned once in the 2020 filing. That filing, however, also returns the 2019 value which is included as comparison in the 2020 financials. Hence the first question: is it possible to exclude items related to periods other than the period for which the specific filing is filed?

The 2019 filing returns the 2019 value twice: once, correctly, as it appears in the balance sheet, but once again since it appears in one of the notes to the financials. Hence question two: is it possible to limit hits to only those concepts included, in this case, in the balance sheet?

Thanks.

David Tauriello
      Keymaster

Hi Bruno – apologies for the delay in getting to your questions.

On the first question – to restrict values to a single year, remove the other year from the query.

If you want to use both the 2019 and 2020 values from the 2020 report, you should first get the dts.id or report.id from the /report endpoint.

https://api.xbrl.us/api/v1/report/search?entity.cik=0000815097&report.document-type=10-K&fields=report.entity-name,report.id,dts.id,report.limit(3),report.entry-type,report.period-end.sort(DESC)

Use either dts.id or report.id to return facts from the report for the years required.

https://api.xbrl.us/api/v1/fact/search?dts.id=435013&concept.local-name=LiabilitiesCurrent&dimensions.count=0&entity.cik=0000815097&period.fiscal-period=Y&period.year=2020,2019&report.document-type=10-K&fields=concept.id,concept.local-name,dimensions,dts.id,entity.name,fact.inline-display-value,period.year,report.entry-url

We’re working on a filter parameter that will prevent ‘duplicate’ values like you note for Carnival in 2019, and we’ll update the community when it’s available.

Let me know if I’ve misunderstood your questions.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Upcoming XBRL US Events

Webinar: SEC Rule – Tailored Shareholder Reports for Mutual Funds and ETFs
Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Domain Steering Committee Meeting
Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Communications & Services Steering Committee Meeting
Tuesday, May 21, 2024

GovFin 2024: Municipal Reporting Workshop
Tuesday, July 30, 2024