Home Forums The XBRL API Google Sheets – very simple beginner question

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Jeff Krimmel
      Participant

Hi,

I am trying to make sure I know how the setup in Google Sheets works.

In one cell, I create the following URL: =CONCATENATE(“https://api.xbrl.us/api/v1/fact/search?concept.local-name=Assets&period.fiscal-year=2020&Entity.cik=0000040545&fields=fact.value”)

In the cell immediately below it, I have the following:
      =showData(CellAbove)

And the value I get is “No information returned”.

I am authorized, via the Google Sheets extension. And I use other XBRL API calls in Google Sheets that work fine. Those were copied and pasted from elsewhere. I’m now just trying to explore on my own, to make all of this a bit less of a black box for myself.

I must have a typo in the URL I’m creating, right? But I’m trying to follow example on page 8 of the API doc:

/api/v1/fact/search?concept.local-name=Assets&period.fiscalyear=2017&period.fiscal.period=1Q&Entity.cik=0000001&fields=fact.value

Do you know where I’m going wrong?

Thanks for the help.

David Tauriello
      Keymaster

Hi Jeff – thanks for writing. yes, it’s a typo in your query – the ‘e’ in entity.cik should not be capitalized (true for all parameters).

Sincerely,
      David

Jeff Krimmel
      Participant

David, thank you so much for the helpful reply.

I’ve tried it again with this query, and I again get “No information returned”:

=showData(CONCATENATE(“https://api.xbrl.us/api/v1/fact/search?entity.cik=0000040545&period.fiscal-year=2020&concept.local-name=Assets&fields=fact.*”))

Now, when I change “fact.*” to “fact.value”, I do indeed get a list of values. Also “fact.ultimus” gives me a list of results. But “fact.*” gives me “No information returned”.

I’m sorry for the hassle on this one. Any help is greatly appreciated.

David Tauriello
      Keymaster

Hi Jeff – thanks for pointing this out; it’s been fixed, so your query should be good to go.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Upcoming XBRL US Events

Domain Steering Committee Meeting
Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Communications & Services Steering Committee Meeting
Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Webinar: SEC Rule – Tailored Shareholder Reports for Mutual Funds and ETFs
Wednesday, May 15, 2024