Home Forums The XBRL API Limit Exceeded: URLFetch URL Length. (line 106).

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Tauriello 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Tim Bui
    Participant

Is there any way to increase the limit of the length on the code?
    When I try to standardize a concept that is composed of more than 4 other concepts, I get an error “Limit Exceeded: URLFetch URL Length. (line 106)”
    For example, if I want to have a standardized Selling, Gen & Admin Expenses (SGA_Tot) from these concepts below, I receive an error:
    SellingGeneralAndAdministrativeExpense
    GeneralAndAdministrativeExpense
    SellingAdministrativeAndResearchAndDevelopmentExpenses
    GeneralAndAdministrativeExpenseAndOtherOperatingExpenses
    Thank you!

Tim Bui
    Participant

So far to get around the RL Length, I break the code into 2 and do the summation in Excel.
    SGA1:SellingGeneralAndAdministrativeExpense, generalandadministrativeexpense,SellingAdministrativeAndResearchAndDevelopmentExpenses

SGA2: GeneralAndAdministrativeExpenseAndOtherOperatingExpenses, OtherSellingGeneralAndAdministrativeExpense, SellingAndMarketingExpense

My question: is there a way to add the results of 2 or more concepts within an API code? This would help to reduce the number of calls.
    Thanks

David Tauriello
    Keymaster

Tim – thanks for posting back with your solution to the issue in the initial post.

The message ‘Limit Exceeded: URLFetch URL Length.’ is a Google Services error (https://developers.google.com/apps-script/guides/services/quotas). According to the page, there’s a 2kB limit (about 2,000 characters).

Some things to try:

• restructure the query to eliminate any unnecessary filters/screens and/or fields returned (maybe there’s a more efficient way to call for the data you need)
    • try a URL shortener (bit.ly is one such service) – I don’t have any experience with this, but it may be worthwhile if it works

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comment