Home Forums The XBRL API Searching Fiscal Periods

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jim Truscott
      Participant

/api/v1/fact/search?concept.local-name=Assets&fact.has-dimensions=false&report.type=10-Q&period.fiscal-period=Y&entity.cik=0000789019&fields=concept.local-name,fact.value,fact.has-dimensions,report.id,period.instant.sort(DESC),report.period-end,entity.name,report.type,period.calendar-period,period.fiscal-period,period.year,period.fiscal-year,report.restated-index,report.restated,fact.ultimus-index,fact.ultimus

API call returns values such as…

{
      “concept.local-name”: “Assets”,
      “fact.value”: “256003000000”,
      “fact.has-dimensions”: false,
      “report.id”: 204168,
      “period.instant”: “2018-01-01”,
      “report.period-end”: “2017-12-31”,
      “entity.name”: “MICROSOFT CORPORATION”,
      “report.type”: “10-Q”,
      “period.calendar-period”: “Y”,
      “period.fiscal-period”: “2Q”,
      “period.year”: 2017,
      “period.fiscal-year”: 2018,
      “report.restated-index”: 1,
      “report.restated”: 1,
      “fact.ultimus-index”: 1,
      “fact.ultimus”: 1
      },

But I thought I’d searched only on period.fiscal-period=Y values. And if I change report.type to 10-K, I get no values that have a period.fiscal-period=Y yet if I remove period.fiscal-period parameter altogether and just search on 10-K values, I get values back that have period.fiscal-period=Y. What am I missing?…

{
      “concept.local-name”: “Assets”,
      “fact.value”: “258848000000”,
      “fact.has-dimensions”: false,
      “report.id”: 218986,
      “period.instant”: “2018-07-01”,
      “report.period-end”: “2018-06-30”,
      “entity.name”: “MICROSOFT CORPORATION”,
      “report.type”: “10-K”,
      “period.calendar-period”: “2Q”,
      “period.fiscal-period”: “Y”,
      “period.year”: 2018,
      “period.fiscal-year”: 2018,
      “report.restated-index”: 1,
      “report.restated”: 1,
      “fact.ultimus-index”: 2,
      “fact.ultimus”: 2
      },

Hi Jim – please double check what’s returned from the initial query; I get period.calendar-period = 2Q
      and period.fiscal-period = y
      for report.id = 204168
      and other records returned for this 6/30 year end filer.

Check out this thread for more details about calendar and fiscal periods – I believe the exchange influenced the work of a ‘lookup’ query that notes period and year on Peter’s Balance Sheet Compare – SEC Filers template.

Jim Truscott
      Participant

Yep. I searched on period.fiscal-period=Y but double checking using a copied version of the call posted at the start of this post, I get 9 records back in insomnia including records with “period.fiscal-period”: “2Q”.

I’m wondering whether it has anything to do with the fact that asset facts have instant dates so technically speaking there is no period associated with an asset fact.

Yep familiar with the issues around calendar and fiscal years. Similarly we bypass whatever the filing entity tells us and calculate our own consistently comparable fiscal year and quarter dates.

hmm – with the query posted above, I get 28 records and none have fiscal period 2Q – can you post report.id for one or more records where this is happening – ?

the details you want returned in fields (like period.instant) shouldn’t impact the screen you’ve set – I’ll confirm and clarify if my understanding is not correct.

Also, please check to make sure site_url in insomina is pointed to api.xbrl.us and not betaapi.xbrl.us

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Upcoming XBRL US Events

Webinar: SEC Rule – Tailored Shareholder Reports for Mutual Funds and ETFs
Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Domain Steering Committee Meeting
Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Communications & Services Steering Committee Meeting
Tuesday, May 21, 2024

GovFin 2024: Municipal Reporting Workshop
Tuesday, July 30, 2024