Home Forums The XBRL API Sorting on a field that is not returned

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Peter Guldberg
      Participant

It used to be possible to sort on a field that was not returned, for example like this:

https://api.xbrl.us/api/v1/fact/search?report.id=22860,22861,22862&fact.ultimus=1&report.id.sort(ASC)&concept.local-name=DocumentPeriodEndDate&fact.has-dimensions=false&fields=period.fiscal-period,period.fiscal-year

but that no longer seems to be working. If I move the report.id into the fields list it works fine, but then it also gets returned in the query.

I checked with team and there haven’t been any changes that would impact .sort, which is applied on returned fields per the documentation:

Any value returned can be sorted in ascending or descending order, by adding an additional property to a field value.

Maybe the sort is on one of the period fields in the query you posted – ? the BS Compare template uses this: https://api.xbrl.us/api/v1/fact/search?report.id=22860,22861,22862&fact.ultimus=1&concept.local-name=DocumentPeriodEndDate&fact.has-dimensions=false&fields=period.fiscal-period,period.fiscal-year,report.id.sort(DESC)

Peter Guldberg
      Participant

All right – maybe it was never meant to work. Basically, the query I posted definitely used to work, but now it doesn’t. However, it’s entirely possible that it was never meant to work.

I think my question here really is: Is there a way to sort the returned fields on a field that is not itself returned?
      I agree that the documentation would seem to indicate that you can only sort on fields that are actually returned.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Upcoming XBRL US Events

Webinar: SEC Rule – Tailored Shareholder Reports for Mutual Funds and ETFs
Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Domain Steering Committee Meeting
Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Communications & Services Steering Committee Meeting
Tuesday, May 21, 2024

GovFin 2024: Municipal Reporting Workshop
Tuesday, July 30, 2024